Sunday 21 September 2014

Two days in Algeciras

Two days in Algeciras was a monumental mistake, I have seen pictures of Gibraltar and I thought it would be similar, nope, I was completely wrong.


Anyway, we arrived Saturday morning, look around Algeciras that day, get some long overdue washing done, look around Gibraltar Sunday and off to Seville on Monday, Tuesday to Friday in Madrid and then to Portugal on Saturday.


I had a dinner planned with staff and students from IE Business School and planned the week leading into around that. I had though a couple of days in Algeciras with a day or so in Gibraltar as the English territory is on the other side of the bay towering above the local topography.


A working shipping port is set on one side of the natural harbour; containers were loaded on ships, this is the landscape directly in front of the town.


Our accommodation was very close to the train and bus station, I was surprised how small it was when we arrived, nothing was open either, so we walked to the train station, once again, small and mostly locked up.


Walking down towards the wharf, I noticed so many backpackers accommodation around the train station. It was when I got down to the street in front of the port that I saw the booking agents for Tangier, this is pretty much a staging post for Morocco. The number of shops in Arabic was a bit of a giveaway too, still, all good. The number of businesses boarded or bricked up was somewhat disconcerting, this is a city in rapid decline.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you went to Algeciras, its an armpit...please stop in Granada, one of the most beautiful, magical places in Spain...

    ReplyDelete