Friday 11 July 2014

St Stephen's Basilica - Budapest

I have taken to shooting in black & white inside the many churches, cathedrals and basilica of Europe, the dull lighting and colours are not done justice with my Samsung tablet. I would love to have my DSLR with me, it just isn't an option backpacking though.


The artwork in Budapest's main basilica is truely sensational, I have to admit, christian artwork tells a compelling story. Who needs words when you can graphically view your fate.


I am in awe of the construction of the basilica, little did I know the age of this structure, I would have sworn this was a structure was from the late middle ages.


Named in honour of the first Hungarian king who lived from 978 to 1038, his right hand is housed in the reliquary, I found this kind of morbid actually.


The basilica was completed in 1905, construction took a whopping 54 years, I was amazed to learn this is a contemporary building, I was convinced this structure was much older than this, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment