Saturday 26 July 2014

Watergate club

I have been to Berlin numerous times since about 2004, I recall coming here for a week when I was staying in Zurich. It was during the Christopher Street Day Festival. I was never going to live that one down amongst my friends, flying to Berlin for the gay marde gras, its like flying to Sydney for their gay street parade.


We had been catching trams around from different bars, so we were in the former GDR, before heading over this bridge to a nightclub right on water level, the GDR still had trams, West Berlin did not. When the wall came down, they left the tram system of the former GDR intact.


We were at the East Side Gallery, a still intact section of the Berlin Wall covered in artwork from numerous artists. I recognised the bridge we crossed back ten years ago late at night, the rubbish from the parade still littered the footpaths.


The nightclub was interesting, a large plate glass window was almost at water level, the view over the waterway at night was sensational, I was less impressed with the music, Watergate is a techno club - so much for rock and roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment