Wednesday 14 May 2014

The travertine terraces of Pamukkale

The Byzantine city of Hierapolis flourished during Roman times; built on top of the formation known as white castle; hot calcium-laden waters spring from the earth and cascaded down the terraces. This was an amazing day trip, I enjoyed many places and saw so many interesting sites, Pamukkale is one that really stuck in my mind. I never kept any records of such trips and as my memory fades, I struggle to remember the sites I visited.


The mineral rich water emerging from the natural spring flows down to the the travertine terraces depositing calcium carbonate on the cascades. This was an amazing natural occurrence built on a former Roman site, for a guy from the new world - this place is sensational.

No comments:

Post a Comment